The Fostering Network has estimated that 550 foster families will be needed in Wales to keep up with the widespread demand.
To combat this, on 1 January 2020 Carmarthenshire Local Authority has launched, #20Reasons, a campaign to encourage people within their local area to consider fostering.
Carmarthenshire is one of nine local authorities who have joined forces to create #20Reasons. The campaign uses real foster carers and their motives for fostering to inform and inspire more families to consider looking after a child or young person.
The 20 reasons to foster range from making a difference to a child’s life by giving them a sense of love, belonging and security; to being part of building a positive future and; helping to keep a child in their local area so they can stay in school and near their friends.
All types of foster carers are needed but particularly those who would consider fostering teenagers, therapeutic carers, respite carers, emergency carers, sibling groups and children with additional needs.
Sue John-Evans Fostering Team Manager said: “Not many people know the realities of fostering in Carmarthenshire from gaining new skills and qualifications to changing your career and feeling the reward and fulfilment that fostering brings. There are many reasons why people choose to foster and we hope we can inspire more to become the lifeline children and young people in need.”
If you’ve been thinking about fostering or would like more information:
Or phone 0800 0933 699
Here are #20Reasons to foster in 2020:
- You can help a child who’s had a difficult past
- You’ll help build positive futures
- You can help a child reach their full potential
- Fostering is amazing and rewarding
- Meet other caring people – just like you
- You can make a difference locally
- Choose which type of fostering is right for you
- Help keep a child in their school
- Develop new skills and gain qualifications
- You’ll make a difference that lasts a lifetime
- It’s a different way to grow your family
- Become part of our fostering community
- You’ll be a positive role model
- Kindness feels good
- Local children and young people urgently need a home
- You’ll help build a child’s confidence
- You can change career
- You’ll give a child a chance in life
- Fostering gives you new perspectives
- You’ll give a child a sense of belonging